Monday, April 30, 2012

Flantabulous

Flan + Tasty + Fabulous = Flantabulous

We went to a fundraiser on Saturday evening for the Young Women (youth group in our church: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or Mormons). They were raising money for Young Women's Camp this summer. (FYI - YW Camp is celebrating 100 years.) Camp is an amazing experience where the 12-18 year old girls have fun together while focusing on Christ and the qualities that will bring them closer to Him. 

Alyssa was so excited to participate in the fundraiser because she will be able to attend this year. There was a pizza dinner and each girl brought a dessert. Alyssa made delicious strawberry and blueberry shortcakes. Wish I had taken a photo! Then at the end of the night there was a dessert and service auction. We scored a dinner from some of the YW where they come to our house, cook us dinner and clean up afterward.

 We attend a Spanish-speaking branch for our church. My husband, Hotch, served a two year mission in Mendoza Argentina and is fluent in Spanish. The kids and I are slowly learning, but we realize the innumerable blessings that will come from learning Spanish. One of the many blessings of attending a Spanish branch is the FOOD! Growing up in San Diego, CA I got accustomed to good Mexican food. Now that we live in nowhere's land Asheboro, NC we have yet to find any real Mexican food. (The people here think they are eating Mexican food, but it really isn't.) The food at branch functions is incredible and makes for a very happy Hotchkiss Family. 

To make a long story longer, so the flan that Hermana Garcia made caught my eye right away. I love real flan! It is heavenly and makes my mouth water. I had my eye on that flan and told Hotch he better make sure we got it. The auction for this particular flan started (being in Spanish I had to rely on Hotch completely) and right away it was a greatly desired item. After the price rose immensely, knowing that we had come prepared, the Hotchkiss family was victorious! No flan ever cost as much or tasted so wonderfully. Had to snap some photos of my beloved flan! It's okay to be jealous.


The next day at church Hermana Garcia came up to Hotch and I after sacrament meeting. She gave us the most splendid surprise. There was another flan waiting in the fridge for us to take and devour. After church the ride home never took so long! Of course when we got home our glorious flan had to undergo numerous photos before we consumed it. (Note I couldn't decide on the perfect lighting.) It was divine and very sweet of her to make another!


Yes, indeed, I do love me some flan!


2 comments: