Friday, May 17, 2013

Gene Tierney & Glenwood Cemetery - Houston, TX

When I was planning our day in Houston, Texas I came across some very interesting information. Gene Tierney was the leading lady in one of my all-time favorite movies, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and she is buried in Glenwood Cemetery in Houston, Texas. I had to pay my respects and visit her grave. Glenwood Cemetery is a gorgeous, peaceful garden cemetery. Built in 1871 as a private cemetery, Glenwood opened to the public in 1872.


Gene Tierney was a stunning woman and a versatile actress. She is splendid in the role of Mrs. Muir, an independent widow, who falls in love with a long deceased sea captain. Enjoy the The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) movie trailer below. It really is the most enchanting movie! 


She is also splendid in the movie Laura (1944). Gene Tierney plays an elusive woman named Laura who has been "murdered" in this fascinating murder mystery. I've also included the movie trailer below.


Her headstone was very understated, but she is buried in her second husband's family plot which is large and beautiful. Wish we had been able to get flowers before visiting so I could leave some on her grave.


As we drove around looking for Gene Tierney's grave we were struck by the beauty of the Glenwood Cemetery. There were tons of cemetery statues.


Look at the beautiful, delicate features on these angels!


I love this angel! The lace etching on this statute is incredible.


Glenwood Cemetery is so green and gorgeous!


This mysterious little angel sits upon the grave of a young woman.


Such a unique cemetery angel with her sword and fierce demeanor!


There also were these unique family plots along the hills.


Howard Hughes was also buried here in the Hughes family plot.


Right across from the Hughes family plot was a Potter gravestone.
Of course, it made us all think of Harry Potter.


Such a beautiful cemetery with tons of trees and meandering roads throughout. Perfect place to spend a quiet afternoon.


We all loved the massive "Beloved Immortals" family plot.


In my opinion, the "piece de resistance" was this intricately detailed weeping angel. (Sorry I couldn't get the accents to work.) We almost missed seeing her, but I am so glad we caught a glimpse of her on our way out.


We had a lovely time visiting the gorgeous Glenwood Cemetery in Houston. Glad I was able to pay my respects to Gene Tierney.

2 comments:

  1. Wow....I never saw anything like it. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome actress and very Beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete