Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Ghost!

One thing I love to do is photograph old churches and cemeteries. First I take photos of all the gravestones and then I upload them to Find A Grave. Find A Grave is a great resource for individuals researching their family history or genealogy. FamilySearch is another great website to help you do family research. I could go on and on about doing your family history because it is a huge passion of mine. Anyways back to our little trip to this darling church one lovely day in February.

We were taking a drive in the country on the hunt for old, gnarly looking cemeteries. My family is so supportive of me while I pursue my goal to photograph every cemetery in Randolph County, NC. We happened upon this gem. Fairgrove Methodist Church was completed in 1902 and served the community until it closed in 1935. It has been maintained since 1936 by the Why Not Memorial Association. There is a very small cemetery in front of it with a much larger cemetery across the street.

 

When I was uploading the photographs to my computer later that night my jaw dropped. There in the bottom right pane of the window is a ghost or what appears to be a figure of a man or woman with a high white collar and dark clothing standing by the pulpit. My reflection is in the bottom left window pane. Below is the original photo along with two cropped copies of the photo. Seriously, there was nothing behind or to the side of me. 


By pressing my camera against the glass window panes I was able to get this shots of the inside of this quaint little church. 


Here is the pulpit that the ghost was standing by.


Lovely! 


As I tried to take a photo in the front windows I almost stepped down on these. It was a little creepy to see headstones laying down right next to my feet. Glad I looked down! Sad that they have been broken and never restored to their rightful place.

 

Obligatory photo at the back door of the church.


Wish all my doorknobs looked like this! 

 

The girls and I walked off to check out the church grounds. Braxton was still checking out the doorknob with Hotch. As he looked through the keyhole and played with the doorknob he somehow opened the locked door. The boys called us over to take a little peak inside before we shut the door again.


I was taking this photo of the back of the church and turned around to see Alyssa quietly laying in the grass under an enormous tree. 

 

Can't get enough of these kids!

 

Such a beautiful old church. 


What a wonderful day which was enhanced by the mystery ghost!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed these pics the first time and even more on a second look. Thanks again for sharing your Loves and passions with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still gives me the shivers every time I look at the ghost photo. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete