Friday, October 5, 2012

Sunsets and Swimming-Keokuk, IA

After our incredible day in Springfield, Illinois we headed into Keokuk, Iowa to spend the night. When the kids found out there was a pool in the hotel they got so excited. The drive to Keokuk, IA lasted 3 hours which didn't help to ease their anxious waiting. One good thing about the drive was the sherbet colored sunset as we arrived at the Mississippi River right across from Keokuk, IA. It had been a long day and drive, but we just had to stop to take some sunset pictures before the reflection on the water faded away.


Braxton's favorite bird is the bald eagle. He spots it everywhere we go. No surprise that he was thrilled to see it when we stopped for photos. 


These next photos were taken by Alyssa as we passed from Illinois over the Mississippi River and into Iowa. (By the way I love Iowa, but more on that later.) She did pretty well considering that we were in a moving vehicle and she was photographing through our dirty windows.


The second we arrived the kids busted out their bathing suits and impatiently waited for me to get ready. Might you we had been going non-stop on their feet since 8 AM and didn't arrive at the hotel until 8:30 PM. Okay, I'll be honest. I really tried to get out of taking them to swim, but in the end I kept my word that they could swim that night. Thankfully,  we had life jackets for the little ones so I didn't have to go in. They just swam around like little fish for two and a half of the longest hours of my life. We didn't get back to the room until 11 PM and they crashed immediately!


The next day we arose bright and early because we had a very busy schedule ahead. We had the best hotel breakfast ever and then hit the road around 9:30 AM. (We stayed at the Hampton Inn and I highly recommend it.) Keokuk, IA is a very small town. Wish we could have investigated just a little bit. 


As Delaney helped me pump gas we found the funniest looking little bug. She asked me to take its picture and now we are curious about what it is. If you know, then please enlighten us.


Keokuk, I will definitely be seeing you again the next time I am around.

No comments:

Post a Comment