Thursday, May 16, 2013

Emerald Mound - Natchez Trace Parkway, MS

After visiting the Windsor Ruins we headed back out along the Natchez Trace Parkway. We love visiting ancient burial mounds so we made a point to check out the Emerald Mound. It is the second largest temple mound in the United States. The Plaquemine Mississipians built and used this massive mound from around 1300AD to 1600AD. The Plaquemines predate the Natchez Native Americans. Emerald Mound was used as a ceremonial center where religious and social events occurred. Starting as a natural hill this mound transformed as earth was deposited by the Plaquemine people. 


There is a paved path that leads to the plateau of the Emerald Mound and the base of the secondary mound. The path is quite steep and after a long day it took some effort getting up it. At least we had some beautiful wildflowers to admire along the way.


Seriously, the path was so steep!


When we got to the top on the path (30 ft above the parking lot) we were rewarded with the sight of an immense plateau and the secondary mound in the distance. It is believed that the primary mound which was built upon a natural hill once had six smaller mounds that flanked its edges and two secondary mounds on the ends. Over time erosion and plowing leveled the six smaller mounds and one of the secondary mounds.

 (It might have looked something like this. Photo from Wikipedia.)

We also had some other rewards along the way. "Is that for me?"


The secondary mound was once the site of a temple and/or where the chiefs resided. The kids were anxious to climb the steps and reach the top. 


I had to ask them to come down the stairs because they hauled up them faster than I could get there to take a photo. They were anxious to explore!


My feet and ankles were so swollen that they felt like they would burst. I was in extreme pain with each step but decided to power through so I could experience the view at the top of the secondary mound with my children.


It took a while to climb those stairs, but I am so glad that I made myself do it. The second I arrived the kids were anxious to take photos and go back down. I had to ask them to give me a moment since I was so winded and my feet were in agony. They obliged. After catching my breath I was able to enjoy the breathtaking view from atop the secondary mound. We were now 30 feet above the primary mound and 60 feet above the parking lot.


 Hotch had no intention to climb those stairs. Look how far he is below us. In the distance you can see the other secondary mound which has eroded. 


The stairs were steep and I was really nervous one of the kids would fall. They thought I was being silly, but appeased me by moving down slowly. 


This boy melts my heart! He has always been a flower picker.  


We really had fun exploring the Emerald Mound! It is perfect for kids because they can run and play outside. Plus an added bonus it the knowledge they receive about an ancient civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment