Friday, July 6, 2012

Centennial Church Cemetery-Morgan County, Indiana

Centennial Church Cemetery was the last cemetery we visited on our short visit to Morgan County, Indiana. It is a much larger cemetery that has many of my husband's ancestors buried here. My goal was to photograph the entire cemetery and to complete the list of the interred on Find A Grave

It happened to be an unusually cold day in June and it sprinkled on me the whole time. The wind got really strong and after an hour my hands were so frozen. Unfortunately, I was only able to photograph about a third of the cemetery before I had to call it quits. My poor kids had to hang out in the caravan the whole time in order to stay warm and dry. Glad we had crayons and coloring pages about the state of Indiana.


I love this cemetery! You turn the corner and there it is in the distance.


Centennial Christian Church is so charming and beautiful!


Here are some of our ancestors buried in the Centennial Church Cemetery.

Denzel Eugene Denney is my husband's grandfather and my mother-in-law's father. He was born in Boone County, Indiana and served in the Navy from 1942 until 1945.
Bertha Louise Flake Denney is my husband's grandmother and my mother-in-law's beloved mother. She was born in Morgan County, Indiana and married Denzel Eugene Denney on Sept. 18, 1944. Louise bore three children: two daughters and one son. Unfortunately, she passed away before my husband was born.
Wyatt Denney is my husband's great grandfather and the father of Denzel Eugene Denney. He was born in Hancock County, Indiana and was a farmer. According to the 1930 census he also worked as a lineman for the telephone company in his later years. 
Hattie Williams is my husband's great grandmother and the mother of Denzel Eugene Denney. She was also born in Morgan County, Indiana. Hattie married Wyatt Denney on Mar. 23, 1907. Hattie bore six children: five sons and one daughter. 

Harry Leslie Flake is my husband's great grandfather and the father Bertha Louise Flake Denney. He was born in Morgan County, Indiana and was a farmer.
Sylvia Dicey Castner is my husband's great grandmother and the mother of Bertha Louise Flake Denney. She was born in Morgantown, Morgan, Indiana and married Harry Leslie Flake at the age of thirteen.  Sylvia bore three children: two daughters and one son. She enjoyed crocheting. How I wish I could sit and chat with her as she cooked or crocheted. She has a special place in my heart.
John Granderson Lester Sichting is my husband's 2nd Great Grand Uncle and the uncle of Harry Leslie Flake. He was born in Morgan County, Indiana. John was a farmer.
Nancy Ellen Ennis is my husband's 2nd Great Grand Aunt and the aunt of Harry Leslie Flake. She was born in Morgan County, Indiana and married John Granderson Lester Sichting on Aug. 21, 1884. Nancy bore four children: four sons.
These sweet babies are my husband's 3rd cousins. When I stumbled upon this headstone my heart broke for the parents Wilbur Sichting and Peggy A Hacker. Can't imagine the pain of losing four children in infancy. Wish I knew if they ever had any other children.

I am so grateful for the ancestors that paved the path for my mother-in-law and subsequently my dear husband. 

2 comments: